Tuesday, June 21, 2011

DAY 33 & 34

DAY 33


We left Beaufort at the crack of dawn....literally.


First stop was the gas station where my credit card was declined. My primary credit card had been cancelled a few days ago as some way or other it had wound up in California shopping at WalMart and even my credit card company knows I do not shop at WalMart. Fortunately I had the $6.14 to pay for the fill up.

We headed south for Savannah and a "Gucci" coffee.  When I pulled over to take a picture of the bridge I did not see the pile of glass until it was to late.  It was pull back into traffic and get clobbered or ride over the glass. Happily the tires were able to take the glass and there was no problem.


 Coffee was had at Goose Feathers.  This is a great little coffee shop/bakery I discovered on Scoot when we came through here in 2009.


After a great coffee and bagel we started our way out of town. This turned into an adventure as the GPS had no idea how to get out of town and so, as usual, I just winged it an not only did we get a good tour, but we eventually made it out of town headed south on US17.

I was running down the highway thinking there was going to be nothing to show you when I passed the "smallest chapel in the world".  Blew right by but said "what the heck" and made a u turn. There I met Jimmy McMillan and his son Chris.  He was sixth generation of the Le Count family that came to these parts as French Huguenots.  His family has been in the farming business since they landed in Georgia. We discussed the present state of farming.  He was a talker and I could fill pages about his farm, his family, his cars, his 9 tractors (his best tractor is a 1998 Russian one). Chris was interested in getting a scooter, but we could never talk about Big Red because his Dad would not shut up.  I don't even think he took breaths. He wins the talker of the trip award.  I stepped into the Chapel and met Le Shante Mary Robison. She too is 5 generation in this area. She come often to the chapel just to have a quiet moment and mediate. The quiet ended when we walked out side  I wanted to learn more about her but we made the mistake of stepping out side and getting Jimmy Mc into the conversation. When I realized that there was no hope of having a two way conversation I loaded up and headed out.






We headed for Brunswick and Woodbine.  I had been greatly anticipating lunch at Capt Stan's Smokehouse joint in Woodbine.  Sadly it was closed on Monday.  Capt Stan recognized the scooter from my previous visit and came out to say hello. I moved on down to Kingsland and Steffins restaurant for lunch. It  has been there since 1948 and just got it's fourth owner.
 brunswick bridge

 everyone always loves this sign



From there I headed to Jacksonville. Fires are everywhere and riding in the smoke was choking.
 smoke
 9a bridge in Jacksonville

We stopped into Bromos Porsche for a visit. Don had just left on a plane to Wisconsin for this weeks race and the car had left on Sunday.  But, there are always race cars of some nature in the garage.  I even got to touch a 2.3 million dollar car. It is a Miller collectors car and they actually drive it!


1963 watson indy racer
paul, franck and andy (he has been here 40 years)

From there we headed down A1a to Palm Coast to spend the night with my old friend Ed.  It was hot and humid !!!!!!!! I had to stop and take a cooling off break before I traveled the relatively short distance from Jax to Ed's house.



View Larger Map


DAY 34  JUNE 31
HEADING HOME

Ed and I headed over to A1A to go done to Flager Beach for a "Gucci" coffee.  I immediately started to bitch to myself when we came to the $2 toll for the private bridge. Fortunately, Ed paid for me since as a resident he only pays $1.25





Over breakfast Ed looked at my route on his smart phone and pointed out I could take Cty 305 at Cody Corners as an alternate to get home.  I said no I would just stick to my route but as I was riding down highway 11 I passed 305, thought about it, and made a u turn.  It was a nice alternative.  Back on my main route, FL 40, even though I was headed home, I got bored of riding on the long straight road. For the first time on this trip the Garmin came in handy. I told it to take me "home" by the shortest non-highway route. It said turn left and I obliged and it was good alternative.  Again today it is HOT!!!!! This took me down some nice shaded roads. After about 45 minutes, the Garmin tried to take me a direction I did not want to go, so I ignored and headed off in my own direction.



Sadly, I started to close in on home and the crowded urban environment that I live in. Not sad to get home, just sad to be leaving the open road.  I really do love these trips. Just 10 miles from it was so hot I had to take a cool down break.  It was not this bad running across Kansas last year in 110 degree heat.




Big Red back in the barn with Scoot


View Larger Map