Sunday, June 19, 2011

DAY 28 TO 31

DAY  28 TO 31



I spent 5 wonderful days in Garner with my parents, family and friends.  My parents are in their 90's, living at home and going strong.  Mom and I worked in her garden and flowers and Dad and I went out to breakfast and went over old photos and detailed what they are about.  They start in 1937 when he joined the horse artillery and ended 24 years later when he retired.  Mom raised five boys while Dad was overseas and did a damn fine job of it.



 The event ended with a large 70th wedding anniversary for them at the local church where close to 100 family and friends attended.  At was a grand event and they were featured on the front page of the local living section of the newspaper.  I learned from the newspaper that the government does not even track marriages beyond 50 years.
 
While there I had some new experiences.  I helped extract honey from beehives.  Evidently this can only be done while drinking beer. 


my buddy jake
 
I checked off a couple of restaurants I had not gone to in years, but had a hankering to visit.  Circus Circus is my favorite chili dog dispenser and they were still great after all these years.  Next was Jade Garden and Chinese restaurant near NC State U.  Vicki and I had our wedding reception there.  The owner at that time was a friend and we told him to let the cook do whatever he wanted to do. It was a fanatic meal.  It was nice to visit but the food was just normal Americanized Chinese.
 
I was kindly invited by the Raleigh Scooter Club to attend the monthly meeting.  The only problem is I got the invitation on Wednesday but did not read it till Thursday and I was as we say, a day late and a dollar short.  Thanks Star for inviting me and hopefully I can make another on in the future.
 
I had not written done my mileage when I arrive and was surprised when I went out and found it to be 9876. That has to be a good omen.


big red gets a bath