Monday, June 20, 2011

DAY 32

DAY 32 JUNE 19


I got off to a later start than I planned.  My parents were up early and the newspaper had come with the article about their anniversary, so I had to stay and discuss it. (N&O article)  When I was finally ready to leave, Mom asked if the phone on the table was mine. I said no, it was my brothers and he would be by to get it later.  Twenty five miles down the road I realized I had left my phone a Mom's to0.  So, I back tracked the 25 miles and started all over again.

There is not much going on on Sundays in the rural areas I travel so when we came to long straight stretches of I let Big Red run.  I hope to do the Scooter Cannon Ball run across the U.S. next year and I really needed to ride it "like I stole it" some to find out how it feels and the gas mileage.  Big Red was steady as a rock, but the gas mileage really took a hit.  At WOT (wide open throttle) the gas mileage went from 65 mph to 50 mph.



 we turned 10,000 miles today.  that is 4168 miles on this trip


 charleston bridge

About 1 pm we rolled into the St. Johns Yacht Marina just south of Charleston.  Our good friend Louise, who lives on her boat, is here for about 3 months working and we really wanted to see her again.  She was our friend Bob's best buddy before he passed away.  You may remember Bob's ash's traveled  to California with me last year.  We found out Louise was just as excited to see us.  We were here first visitor at her new location.  She had a perfect lunch prepared; chilled sliced fruit and avocado dip with chilled water from the "Pig". We really wanted to stay longer but after about an hour and half we hit the road.  We had to make a few more miles today.


 louise proudly showing her "pig" card from the piggley wiggley

Riding to Beaufort, SC had more traffic and so Big Red was reined in for this part.  It also was also hot, 112 F at one of the stop lights.  We rolled into Beaufort about 5 pm, checked into the only hotel right downtown and headed out for a couple of frozen margaritas to chill off.

the glass was refilled several times


379 miles


a disclaimer.  not all maps reflect the exact route, but are a close approximation of actual route.  most are pretty damn close and if you zoom in you can see the route. (yes bob, this is for you)

View Larger Map