Monday, May 23, 2011

DAY 4 & 5

DAY 4 MAY 21

"Ken, why are you going to Vicksburg?" Got that question a lot. I rolled into Vicksburg last year after 7 hours of riding in 100+ heat.  The Corners Mansion was a oasis from the stifling heat.  Macy handing me a frozen margarita sure implanted pleasurable memories in my mind.  The history of the town, that Macy told me over the cooling drink, really peaked my interest.  It was a very important town in our history even before the Civil War. The battle of Vicksburg was really interesting to me.  I had never heard about the Yankees trying to divert the Mississippi river by digging a canal.  They were not successful, but mother nature was, about 10 year later. I am not a big war buff, but some things catch my interest.  So, to satisfy that interest, I am back and visiting the Vicksburg National Park and Cemetery.
The day started with breakfast prepared by Joe and served by John. If I would have known how much walking I was going to do in the park and having to lug the breakfast with me, I would not have indulged quite as much.




I spent several hours touring the park.  It is a beautiful setting and I recommend it to all. And not crowded today.


On the way to the park, we passed these 2 lovely ladies and before I knew what was happening, Big Red had done a U turn and was all soaped up.



In the afternoon Macy invited me to tag along for a boat ride on the Mississippi. She explained it as a "once in a lifetime opportunity.  How often do you get ride on the Mississippi when it is at record flood stage?"
The Sweet Olive's normal dock was tied to a tree to keep it from floating away downtown. To board, we had to go up the river, normally about a 5 minute ride, but due to flooding, turned into a 20 minute ride over the hill and through the dale and a walk down the railroad track. It was a fun ride, but now I have to come back to compare what the "normal" river looks like.



 this a 500 car parking area

 macy photoing her house


DAY 5 MAY 22

Today started with a detour due to flooding.  This whole day was great for riding.  I took a lot of county roads and there was almost no traffic.  It was so desolate, that I would go 20 miles or so and not see a car or a church or sign to a church.  That is almost unheard of in the south. The roads were paved, but some of the roughest I have been on with a washboard effect.
 built in 1929 and that may have been the last maintenance it saw

I stopped in Bentonia to see the Blue Front Cafe. This is one of the most famous Delta Blues places in Mississippi and the home of Johnny "Duck" Holmes who I had the great pleasure of seeing recently in St. Pete.

"Ken, why did you go to Yazoo City?"  Because I have always wanted to go there just because I like saying the name.  YAAAZOOOOO!!.  I decided to have breakfast while we were there and pulled into the Howell's restaurant. It was long on Jesus and friendly but real short on cooking.  It was the worst breakfast in memory.  The boys sitting under the cross were the local Harley riders talking of oil leaks, mods etc., when one said "I'd go on them long rides if I had a stereo and cruise control".  Me and Red chuckled at that.


I did my first turtle save today.


I hate it when your bridge is bad and you have take away it's toys.


The plan was to stay in Oxford, the home of Ole Miss U, but after riding around I found it interesting but not worth stopping at 2 pm.  If some of the little cabin B&B's just outside of town had been available, it would have been OK.  Instead, I pushed on to Tupelo and the birth place of the King....Elvis.





169 miles 9 hours


View Larger Map