Tuesday, May 17, 2011

TIME TO RIDE

Well, it is that time of year again.  Time to hit the road.  It has been hard to wait, as I have been anxious to get going for months. Living in the most densley populated county in Florida makes getting free from the city to ride a real treat. This was going to be the "destination unknown" tour and I was just going to meander for a few weeks. But, over the winter, an invitation from owners of Country Rode Vespa in Rochester, N.Y. to come speak to their customers set the "destination".  A very good friend is participating in The Watkins Glenn GT race on 4 June with the Bromos Porsche racing team and that set the date.

That decided, the planning began.  I was intrigued with the history around Vicksburg, MS when Big Red and I passed through there last year, so that is the first planned stop. Traveling through Mississippi required a few mandatory stops.  Some old blues places and of course anything Elvis. The rest of the trip we will be visiting a few friends and somewhat winging it as far as scheduled stops. 


A map of the general direction of travel. Subject to change without notice.


View Larger Map

Ok, now that the travel details are roughly sketched out, I had to do a few things. The main one is which scooter to take. Scoot, the 150, really makes you slow down and smell the roses. A great way to travel. Believe it or not it was a hard decision, but I will take Big Red, the 250, on this adventure. I did a fair job of traveling slowly last year when we rode back from California, so I think I can contain myself. But, as this is a fairly long ride, around 4,000 miles, the 250 motor will cover all the terrain at a more consistant speed.

So, we are out of here tomorrow.  I am scheduled to spend the first night at a fish camp and there is no internet, so posting will probably not start until Thrusday the 19th.
Ken